By Karen I. Frediksen-Goldsen
It is extra universal now than ever sooner than for companions, family, and buddies to supply casual care, but caregiving within the lesbian, homosexual, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) groups has acquired little recognition. Caregiving with Pride is the pioneering exam of caregiving studies within the LGBT inhabitants. this significant textual content additionally offers a frank dialogue of the problems desirous about desiring and receiving care to boot. complete and up to date, this either a well timed account of a massive box and functional details for imposing swap.
Unique in its concentration and scope, Caregiving with Pride deals readers unique examine and new summaries and analyses of latest literature. With a wide-ranging technique that's either readable and enlightening, this crucial assortment acknowledges the altering nature of households as important to the problems of caregiving and LGBT groups. It positive factors articles that insist on and illustrate the significance of taking either identification concerns and socio-cultural coverage contexts of caregiving into consideration. whereas keeping a multifaceted biopsychosocial standpoint that's serious to realizing the various elements of this subject, members speak about:
- the occurrence of caregiving with LGBT groups
- health concerns and the desires of these requiring care
- the specific threat and protecting components impacting HIV/AIDS caregivers
- the mental results - optimistic and unfavorable - of caregiving
- family and private - “chosen relatives” - relationships
- interactions with formal structures of overall healthiness and long term care
- effects of heritage and social stigma on these wanting and giving care
- how present social guidelines bog down LGBT humans of their entry to care
- the methods confirmed scientific guidance prevent LGBT caregivers of their efforts to assist
- existing interventions and possibilities to raised sever those groups
- and a lot more!
As an informative stand-alone source, Caregiving with Pride is vital for gerontologists, sociologists, historians, social employees, psychologists, educators, researchers, and coverage makers. furthermore, this assortment is perfect as a supplementary textual content for college students of getting older, ladies reports, GLBT reports, sociology, and wellbeing and fitness experiences in addition to the bigger GLBT community.
Read or Download Caregiving with Pride PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Within the marriage ceremony complicated Elizabeth Freeman explores the importance of the marriage rite by means of asking what the marriage turns into if you separate it from the belief of marriage. Freeman reveals that weddings—as performances, fantasies, and rituals of transformation—are websites for imagining and enacting kinds of social intimacy except monogamous heterosexuality.
In A accident of wants, Tom Boellstorff considers how interdisciplinary collaboration among anthropology and queer reviews may perhaps increase either fields. For greater than a decade he has visited Indonesia, either as an anthropologist exploring gender and sexuality and as an activist concerned about HIV prevention paintings.
What does social technological know-how study let us know approximately homosexuality? Does this data impact public coverage? regardless of scholarly learn, homosexuality remains to be the topic of an severe, and sometimes sour, debate. This quantity summarizes educational wisdom approximately homosexuality and its relevance for public coverage.
It has been A company DOING excitement WITH YOU is my autobiography of being a excessive profile homosexual escort, from early army upbringing and its clashes with my younger homosexual id, to stories of leaving domestic less than possibility of shotgun. Going out into the area I made my technique to discover a area of interest of survival, in basic terms to find quickly afterwards that I had whatever a ways tougher to outlive, an outbreak referred to as HIV.
- The Biology of Homosexuality (Oxford Series in Behavioral Neuroendocrinology)
- Hoover's War on Gays: Exposing the FBI's "Sex Deviates" Program
- The Empress Is a Man: Stories from the Life of José Sarria (Haworth Gay & Lesbian Studies)
- Beyond Obedience: For all who are called to Mastery, Ownership, slavery, surrender & service
- Desiring Emancipation: New Women and Homosexuality in Germany, 1890-1933 (SUNY series in Queer Politics and Cultures)
Extra info for Caregiving with Pride